CYPRESS, Calif. – July 29, 2020 – Yamaha Bicycles is taking a massive leap into the all-mountain e-Bike segment today, announcing the coming of two new models. The YDX-MORO and YDX-MORO Pro models promise to deliver a new level of balanced power, performance and handling for riders on all types of e-mountain bike (e-MTB) trails.
With a full list of specs, components, pricing and availability to be announced in August, Yamaha is revealing select images and several key features of the all-new e-MTB models today, while also promoting an online giveaway at https://www.yamahabicycles.com/future-ebikes/.
Influenced by Yamaha’s unmatched experience in racing technology and e-Bike design, the all-new YDX-MORO and YDX-MORO Pro look and ride like no other e-MTB. Boasting an all-new PW-X2 drive unit, the bikes deliver the most natural feeling assist and ride experience thanks to a new proprietary Quad Sensor System, and include new Automatic, MTB and Walk Assist modes. The PW-X2 drive unit and new 500 watt-hour lithium-ion battery are secured in an all-new patent pending Dual Twin Frame™ design that delivers a superior combination of handling performance and durability, along with a new Horst link suspension design.
“This is the bike that Yamaha fans have been asking for, a full-suspension e-Bike crafted through a collaboration of Yamaha designers and engineers to create the best handling, best assist-feeling all-mountain e-Bike on the market, hands down,” said Drew Engelmann, Yamaha’s Power Assist Bicycle group sales and marketing manager. “Yamaha has designed a frame like no one else before, developed a new drive unit with all-new features, and, true to Yamaha’s engineering legacy, put together a total package that works so well together, it’s going to raise the bar for the all-mountain e-Bike segment from here forward. Yamaha just redefined the ‘all-mountain’ category – to ‘every mountain.’”
NEW PW-X2 DRIVE UNIT; NATURAL ASSIST WITH NEW MODES AND POWER
Yamaha’s new PW-X2 drive unit is a compact and lightweight drive unit that delivers powerful, responsive and natural-feeling pedal assist. The smooth and natural assist is critical for MTB enthusiasts who demand a pure ride experience, and also appreciate the benefits of a pedal assist bike that allows them to ride farther and longer than other bikes.
The YDX-MORO models are Class 1 e-Bikes, delivering pedal assist up to 20 mph. They have five assist modes including Eco, Standard, High, new MTB mode, and EXPW. The new PW-X2 provides assist up to 120 rpm in Eco, Standard, High and MTB modes and 170 rpm in EXPW mode. The motor also adopts a new helical gear design, reducing noise output.
Key features connected to the PW-X2 motor on the YDX-MORO and YDX-MORO Pro include:
- Quad Sensor System: The new Quad Sensor System adds an angle sensor to Yamaha’s existing Triple Sensor System, which measures pedaling torque, cadence and rolling speed of the bicycle.
- Automatic mode: The new Quad Sensor System allowed Yamaha to develop a new Automatic mode for the YDX-MORO which, when engaged, seamlessly and automatically switches the support modes between Eco, Standard and High allowing the rider to focus on the trail and not their power assist levels.
- Walk Assist: Also new on a Yamaha Power Assist Bicycle, Walk Assist provides a slight power assist for riders to walk their bike through difficult terrain or challenging sections.
- New MTB Mode: Created to provide a direct response feeling according to the rider’s pedaling force. MTB mode is especially suited for off-road riding such as tight corners and when riding tight-line trails.
- New EXPW Mode: now provides assist up to 170 rpm, which is especially helpful in technical sections and on steep climbs when beginning from a stop and a fast movement pedal rotation is often needed to get started again.